Friday, September 2, 2016

August 20, 2016
Welcome to my blog.  I'm Chris Kurtz, a third grade teacher in a school called DEMS in Saudi Arabia. I have never taught at an international school before although I lived overseas as a child.

A blog is something I’ve been wanting to do for a long time, and now that I’m living in a place people are curious about, the time has arrived.  I feel a sense of urgency in getting started since I want to strike while all of my senses are still a little raw and my point of view hasn’t settled into normalcy.  I know that is a necessary evolution in my psyche for the sake of comfort and stability, but this off-balance feeling can be an interesting time as well.

It is just one day short of a week since we arrived as I write this first entry.  Carolyn and I were hired in December to teach at DEMS. It was a long arduous wait with lots of packing and moving chores that seemed to never end. Here is us on the plane. But we're here now.
Boarded and ready to fly into the unknown.
Just after landing, we were met on the sky bridge and whisked out of a side door into a luxurious black sedan, across the tarmac and then into a special VIP room where we waited for our bags to clear customs.  It is the only time we will be met in such pomp and circumstance but it was lovely to walk into the air conditioned room and see our school principal waiting for us with a big hug and comfortable chairs.  

Still smiling at our destination. Lots of gold trim in the VIP area of the airport.  Carolyn trying out her new abaya.
Let me just take a moment to say that the short walk down the stairs of the jetway to the aforementioned luxurious black sedan was taken through the sort of heat you feel you need to swim through.  Our glasses instantaneously fogged up and the air we were forced to breathe felt as if it might be doing damage to our lungs.  You know how you hold your breath as you open the oven door to check on a pie or the tray of roast vegetables?  It was like that...only you can’t hold your breath that long.  

But more on the heat later.  It is certainly the most in-your-face aspect of living here in Saudi Arabia, but it hardly gets mentioned in regular conversation because...why?  There just isn’t any point to talking about it.  But the heat definitely shapes and narrows your life here in a number of ways, the biggest of which is that it keeps everyone indoors and hidden from everyone else.
The view from our apartment out the living room window.



The humidity increases the sense of heat dramatically.  It is regularly above 110 F and 70+ percent humidity. 

Which brings me to the point that is topmost on my mind every day - how to make a community here for ourselves.  We live on a compound with hundreds of other people, but no one who works in our school.  Reaching out to others with ease and being outgoing and gregarious just doesn’t come natural for Carolyn and I, so these leopards are going to have to grow some new spots.  But you know how friends often seem to fall randomly into your life?  That happened to us on the first day when we went to get our Saudi physical.  The two couples who were thrown into the same process also live on our campus, also are experiencing everything new, also are teachers (although not at our school) and are super friendly.   So that has given us a jump start on the friendship front and hope for the future.

School and a solid, steadying routine is just a few days hence.  I’m sure that will change our feelings and our experiences in the near future, so stay tuned.  In the meantime, I would REALLY like to hear your thoughts and reactions to this blog so that I can get the feeling that I’m connecting with those of you who are reading.  Please keep in touch.

12 comments:

  1. So glad to share this amazing journey with you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love that you're sharing this experience. It's great to read your account of the change, especially in culture and climate, and acclimating to your new space. (Sheryl)

    ReplyDelete
  3. We are 1 day short of one month since we departed from our life in Michigan to live in Egypt. I really admire that you understand how quickly things can become "normal" and you don't quite see things as you did upon first arrival. I did not expect it to happen so quickly, and wish I had gotten more of my thoughts written down in my blog early on. It is hard to express every new wonder and sight. We have not experienced such heat. I hope that you enjoy the start of school and all that entails.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Reading your thoughts and observations on Egypt makes me realized our experiences have a lot in common but are also quite distinct. I look forward to reading more! Best wishes.

      Delete
  4. Yay! I've been loving the Facebook posts and look forward to 'longform.' I think of you often when I drive my car, when I drive past the corner of Orange and Birch and see lights in the classroom, and when I hear my new colleagues play their instruments- guitar and accordian. Not quite a banjo, but enough sideways that it makes me nostalgic for hearing folksy music through an adjoining wall! Hope that routine is gently sanding the rough spots, and that you are finding joy in every day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, Chris, for starting this! I can hear your voice and enjoy feeling a bit like I can experience it along side you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So excited to get to experience your journey along with you. You are such a good writer, it's inspiring❤️ Can't wait for your next post.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello!! So happy to hear your voice!

    Tell me more about how it feels....the reference to holding your breathe when opening the oven was perfect! Tell me about the kids...what are the like? Similarities, differences? What is the food like? Perhaps this is the best way to build community bonds...with food! What do you already miss terribly, if anything? How does this experience, as an adult, compare to your experiences overseas as a child? Are you finding fulfillment?

    Abernethy misses you!
    Stacey (& Amalia)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So great to hear from you, Stacey (&Amalia)! The kids remind me A LOT of Abernethy kids - energetic, very verbal, and very responsive. but I only have 18 kids which is pretty wonderful. Also, all but two of the kids speak with a heavy accent of some sort and probably 3/4 have limitations to their English skills. However, this does not stop them from throwing themselves into conversation. Lots of Indian food, lots of Philippine and of course lots of middle eastern food. The food cooked especially for our tastes is...somehow lacking. Hamburgers...not wonderful. Good selection of fruit, no hot cereal (Corn Flakes and Coco Puffs but no hot cereal???), and good vegetables. Wonderful nuts with all kinds of delightful seasonings. Honestly the biggest thing I miss right now is a chance to ride my bike wherever I want. And to your last question, I can't really say yet how this is all going to feel until I am able to achieve a little more mobility both in country and out. Once we purchase a car and also get to fly to some neighboring locales, I think I'll be able to say whether or not it measures up to my expectations. Right now, mobility is an issue and we're feeling a little hemmed in. Miss you guys!

      Delete
    2. Great questions, Stacey and Amalia. Since I am not a great Facebook person and want to share your journey with your mom, I especially love the fact that you are including photos in your blog too. I am wondering if you do all your own cooking or if some meals are provided in the compound. I remember during the years living in Colombia that the variety of many grocery store items was extremely limited. When I got home, I was shocked (and embarrassed) at the glut of types of cold cereals, just to mention one category. Do you find the same there? Keep up the good work. I'd love to hear about funny, interesting or poignant classroom incidents that you or Carolyn are experiencing as well as other person to person encounters that will give us a picture of the similarities and differences of your life there and here. Be well. Jana

      Delete
    3. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    4. As always, thanks for sharing my news with Mom, Jana. I had a hard week which I will blog about soon - culture shock I'm sure. I was just touchy and cranky. Everything rubbed me the wrong way. But I feel like I'm rebalancing...if that's a word. You can find almost everything you want in the stores around here but in a slightly different form. A few things Saudi Arabia seems to not have are the aforementioned hot cereal, flat griddles such as what you might cook pancakes on, cheese cutters, and coffee grinders. Seems kind of random, but there you have it. A poignant story...well, there is a Korean girl in my class who doesn't have great English skills but is LOADED with confidence and personality and has taken a real shine to me - she draws pictures of me adding a complimentary full head of hair and descriptive labels like "nice" and "kind" and "best teacher ever". She is also entranced by another aspect. She positions herself close to me when I've called for a circle on the rug and surreptitiously strokes the hair on my arms. She just can't seem to get over the presence of body hair.

      Delete