Sunday, September 11, 2016

Dear Friends and Family,

I had a definite low point of my time here in Saudi Arabia so far, last week.  I was grouchy and out of sorts all week long.  Every day things rubbed me the wrong way. Naturally I assumed I was suddenly and inexplicably surrounded by idiots! Well, Carolyn chilled me out, informed me it probably wasn't them, rather it was me, and now I can only surmise that I was having a bout of culture shock.  On September 13 it will have been exactly one month that we’ve been in a completely new and often surprising, sometimes disconcerting environment and I think it just caught up with me.

That said, I feel like I’m on the other side now.  We are one day into our weeklong vacation to mark the Muslim celebration of Eid.  Here are a few things that cheered me up:

  • Carolyn and I managed to obtain our mobile phone plan yesterday - an event made possible because I finally received my iqama (pronounced Ee-Kama) - otherwise known as your resident papers for Saudi Arabia.  A great number of things depend on having this document including your ability to re-enter the country upon leaving it, get a driver’s license, register a car, open up a bank account, and the aforementioned cell phone number.
  • Time off from school (even though my class is delightful)
  • New friends (more about this later)
  • I finalized my gym membership

Myself with a good friend of mine - Steph Curry.  Maybe you've heard of him?
His and Labron's jersey are the only ones available here in the Kingdom.
Sorry Blazers!

Our biggest decision was putting down a deposit on a car.  Someone on the compound here was selling his SUV and I jumped on the chance to pick it up.  For those interested, it is a Hyundai Santa Fe with 4WD for driving in the sand. Carolyn and I are hoping to do some desert camping at some point here in Saudi as soon as we can find knowledgeable people to throw in with.  Also, we were advised to get a bigger car as a way of mitigating some of the...shall we say unfamiliar driving habits in Saudi Arabia.  

But to come back to my previous point about new friends...I made a connection on the compound with a woman while on one of the shopping busses (our compound provides bus rides free of charge every day) who is Ethiopian.  Last night Sunni invited Carolyn and I out to celebrate Ethiopian New Year with her family and friends.  
At the center of it all...Ethiopian coffee.
It was a lot of fun with the added bonus of delicious coffee, Ethiopian music, a chance to brush off my Amharic, warm hospitality, Ethiopian dancing (which I declined to the relief of all concerned) and...you guessed it, Ethiopian food.  
OK, so the spelling is off.  Delicious anyhow.  And Hppay New Year to everyone!
Carolyn and I stumbled home four hours later having destroyed our diets and laden with even more Ethiopian food for the following day.  It was mind-bendingly fun to land on a little island of Ethiopian-ness amid the sea of British-ness and Saudi-ness on Sara Village.  
Me with my new friends.




Carolyn and I will probably spend the entire week here in Al Khobar (our fair city) this vacation week simply because 1. Travel is super expensive this time of year  2. My iqama isn’t actually completely in hand - that is to say, I have my iqama number and my exit/re-entry visa but not my actual iqama card which has not yet been printed and 3) Carolyn has been under the weather fighting a bug and has low energy.

On one final note, the gym here on Sara Village is extensive and I now have the ability to make full use of it having completed the orientation and safety session.  The guy who runs the fitness center is very warm and a fount of information so he started me out on a fitness regimen for wimps which almost killed me.  In any event, upon finishing up this blog entry I need to drag my sore muscles and sorry self back up to what seemed at first like a castle of fun and play and now seems like a dungeon of dread to continue with day two of my training.  

7 comments:

  1. Oh! Somehow exercise and lots of Ethiopian food go together...so glad to hear of the uplift.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Next time just get up and do the dancing! Is there a community bulletin board of sorts somewhere? Perhaps there are old timey or Irish musicians hiding out and a band is in your future...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Did you ever hear the Portland Ethiopian funk group Tezeta Band? Your post has made me hungry for Bete-Lukas! Enjoy your car and your newfound freedom. Desert camping with experts sounds incredible.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I laughed out loud more than once at your experiences. It is all an adventure and the stories are so entertaining. Hang in there . I am sure there are as many unexpected delights as the one of the Ethiopian lady in Saudi Arabia on a bus meeting a white American who spoke her language and showed up just in time for her to feed the biggest feast of the year. Melkem Adis Amet!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dylan says: Hi Mr. Kurtz! I hope you're having a good time in Saudi Arabia. My new school is good. I hope yours is, too. You are an awesome teacher! 😂📚📝✏️

    ReplyDelete
  7. MY NAME IS MARIAM FROM SOUTH AFRICA...I SAW THIS COMMENT ON POSITIVE BLOGS AND I WILL LOVE TO TELL EVERYBODY HOW MY STATUS CHANGES TO NEGATIVE, AND AM NOW A LIVING WITNESS OF IT AND I THINK ITS A SHAME ON ME IF I DON'T SHARE THIS LOVELY STORY WITH OTHER PEOPLE INFECTED WITH THIS DEADLY VIRUS...,HIV HAS BEEN ONGOING IN MY FAMILY... I LOST BOTH PARENTS TO HIV,. AND IT IS SO MUCH PAIN IVE NOT BEEN ABLE TO GET OVER.. AS WE ALL KNOW MEDICALLY THERE IS NO SOLUTION TO IT..AND MEDICATION IS VERY EXPENSIVE..SO SOMEONE INTRODUCED ME TO A NATIVE MEDICAL PRACTITIONER IN AFRICA..I HAD A JOB THERE TO EXECUTE SO I TOOK TIME TO CHECK OUT ON HIM.I SHOWED HIM ALL MY TESTS AND RESULTS.. I WAS ALREADY DIAGNOSED WITH HIV AND IT WAS ALREADY TAKING ITS TOWL ON ME.. I HAD SPENT THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS SO I DECIDED TO TRY HIM OUT...I WAS ON HIS DOSAGE FOR 1 MONTHS. ALTHOUGH I DIDNT BELIEVE IN IT, I WAS JUST TRYING IT OUT OF FRUSTRATION... AND AFTER 2 WEEKS, I WENT FOR NEW TESTS... AND YOU WONT BELIEVE THAT 5 DIFFERENT DOCTORS CONFIRMED IT THAT AM NEGATIVE..IT WAS LIKE A DREAM,,I NEVER BELIEVE AIDS HAS CURE..AM NOW NEGATIVE,,AM A LIVING WITNESS..I DONT KNOW HOW TO THANK THIS MAN... I JUST WANT TO HELP OTHERS IN ANY WAY I CAN..HAVE JOINED MANY FORUMS AND HAVE POSTED THIS TESTIMONIES AND ALOT OF PEOPLE HAS MAIL AND CALLED THIS MAN ON PHONE AND AFTER 2 WEEKS THEY ALL CONFIRMED NEGATIVE..BBC NEWS TOOK IT LIVE AND EVERY.. HOPE HE HELPS YOU OUT.. EVERYBODY SAW IT AND ITS NOW OUT IN PAPERS AND MAGAZINES THAT THERE'S NATIVE CURE FOR HIV AND ALL WITH THE HELP OF THIS MAN,,HAVE TRIED MY OWN PARTS AND ALL LEFT WITH YOU,,IF YOU LIKE TAKE IT OR NOT..GOD KNOWS HAVE TRIED MY BEST.ABOUT 97 PEOPLE HAVE BEEN CONFIRMED NEGATIVE THROUGH ME..AND THEY SEND MAILS TO THANKS ME AFTER THEY HAVE BEEN CONFIRMED NEGATIVE,,THIS MAN IS REAL..DON'T MISS THIS CHANCE,,HIV IS A DEADLY VIRUS,,GET RID OF IT NOW..
    case there is anyone who has similar problem and still

    looking for a way out, and he those cast all kind of spell like ::
    Love Spells
    Luck, Money Spells
    Health, Well Being
    Protection, Healing
    Curses, ex, Breakups
    NEW! Combo Spells
    High Priestess Spells
    Vampire Spells
    Authentic Voodoo Spells
    Custom, Other Spells
    Business spells
    Health/Healing spells
    Cancer healing
    Curse removal
    Job spells
    Healing from all kind of diseases
    Love binding
    Barrenness(need a child)
    Need love
    Lottery Spells
    Promotions
    Success
    Money rituals
    winning court case
    Divorce spells
    Low sperm count
    Infertility in women
    Breast enlargement/reduction
    Penis enlargement/reduction
    Diabetes
    Arthritis
    sicklecell
    YOU CAN CONTACT HIM HERE AS (dr.abalaka@outlook.com) and also his state based number text him here if you're in the US: 760-935-3804 if you need any question contact me via here as mariambaurice@gmail.com i wish you best of luck and good health.

    ReplyDelete